Volunteer Coordinator - Togo
Vacancy for: Volunteer Coordinator
Based: Lomé, Togo
How to apply: Use ‘Apply’ button on this page. Please do not send applications by email.
At Projects Abroad, we’re passionate about travelling with a purpose. We love travel, and we love making a positive difference in communities around the world. We run projects in dozens of countries, where we send volunteers to help with anything from medicine and healthcare to education and conservation.
We don’t just dream about making a difference in the world. We do it every day.
We're looking for a Volunteer Coordinator to assist the volunteer’s integration into the country. He/she will be responsible for managing all volunteers and developing projects with the direction of the Country Director. Their main role is to be a frontline liaison with volunteers, helping them out in tackling culture shock. Flexibility is the key to this role. The nature of the position entails frequent, timely and effective communication with volunteers and local staff members. The job is busy and can be physically demanding so you should be prepared to work flexible hours.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure that the volunteer is comfortable during their time in Togo.
- Meet volunteers on arrival and conduct thorough a cultural orientation and an induction of their accommodation and their placement.
- Educate the volunteers on the worthwhileness of their project.
- Maintain effective communication with the volunteers, placements and staff.
- Ensure that volunteer issues and concerns are dealt with efficiently.
- Keep senior staff members informed of all volunteer issues and development.
- Ensure that accurate and up-to-date information on projects, placements and volunteers are uploaded in the appropriate databases.
- Manage timely execution of monitoring: engage in an in depth discussion with the volunteers.
- Emergency standby.
- Take part in weekly meetings.
- Take volunteers to the hospital when they are ill.
- Occasionally assist with the management of outreach programs.
- Occasionally help to move volunteers.
- Office administrative work: using Microsoft Office tools
- Any other duties assigned by Country Director / Operations Manager
- Be a Togolese citizen.
- Have excellent communication skills in English and French.
- Have at least 2 years' experience working with a culturally diverse population.
- Be proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and internet.
- Be flexible and a team player.
- Have strong priority and time management skills
- Have excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Be able to work under pressure and multi-task.
- Have excellent organizational skills.
- International development, project management, early childhood studies or other studies in humanities would be advantageous
You will be employed on a short-term contract. An offer of employment is dependent upon receipt of satisfactory references and personal interview.
The exact salary depends upon your experience and will be discussed with you during one of the interviews.
To apply, please complete the online application form and provide the following:
- A cover letter, telling us why you’re perfect for this role.
- Your CV, clearly outlining the experience or training relevant to this role.