Professional Volunteering Opportunities in Physical Education Teaching, Ethiopia
- Placement location: Addis Ababa
- Requirements: Full qualifications as a teacher
- Accommodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start Dates: Flexible
On this voluntary teaching project you can teach sport to primary and secondary school children in Addis Ababa.
Ethiopians idolise sports stars such as legendary long distance runner Haile Gebrselassie. However, they don’t get enough access to sport in school. This project provides you with a platform to provide an essential service for children.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer physical education teachers help in Ethiopia?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer physical education teacher. You can work on tasks such as:
- Teaching sports abroad with either primary or secondary school, depending on your experience.
- Organising and supervising groups of children.
- Coaching various skills and motivating young people to improve their performance.
- Working with existing staff to create a more varied sports programme.
- Observing classes in order to assess existing teaching staff, offer advice and set goals for their development.
- Organising and running training clinics for Projects Abroad volunteers working with other schools (optional).
Hill Side School is a private school for children aged 6-18. The school is split into a Primary with children aged 6-14 and a High school for children aged between 15 and 18.
The school was founded by a former teacher, Mrs Saba Solomon. It has nearly 2000 pupils and 100 staff members. However, it still need more focus on sport and physical education.
Volunteers are expected to work from Monday to Friday for around 6-8 hours per day.
This project runs all year round so you can join at any time. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
You will get the chance to work with a wide variety of children of different ages. You will also work alongside qualified teachers who are eager to learn more about physical education. There is also a ‘feel good factor’ that comes from developing a programme like this. There will be a long-term benefit to your work.
Through educating the students at the school, you will learn about Ethiopia’s culture and way of life. Staff and pupils will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this ‘cultural exchange’ and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 18-9 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Ethiopia is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with an Ethiopian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have attained Qualified Teacher Status (or the equivalent qualification in your home country) then you are perfectly suited to this project. We are also looking for anyone with experience of coaching sport to children.
If you are interested in this project but don’t have the relevant experience, then please read about our regular School Sports project in Ethiopia.