Occupational Therapy Elective Placements in Morocco
- Placement locations: Rabat
- Role: To gain experience from local staff and add to your previous Occupational Therapy training
- Requirements: You must speak French or Arabic to an intermediate level. You must be currently studying at university for a degree in Occupational Therapy. If you are not an elective student please go to our standard Occupational Therapy project in Morocco page
- Type of placement: Schools and day care centres
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Qualified supervisor, food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
If you take your Occupational Therapy Elective in Morocco, you will be working in schools and day-care centres. You will find the facilities may not be to the standard you are used to. With creativity and enthusiasm, you can really help to make a difference to the quality of life of the children and young adults you will be working with, while learning about occupational health and its role in Morocco.
Projects Abroad will liaise with your university to ensure the requirements of your elective can be met at your placement. Our in-country staff are experienced in working with elective students and will be on hand to support your pre-departure arrangements. In Morocco you will be given a supervisor who will mentor you throughout your stay. They will be a qualified member of staff who will ensure your time is well spent and your experience worthwhile. They can discuss specific case studies with you and will help with any questions you may have.
You could be placed in a day-care centre for children ages 3 -12 who have a variety of learning disabilities and special needs. The centre carries out a lot of therapy with the children. They have gardens and a small area for animals. We also have a placement in a school for girls with mental disabilities. Here the focus is on developing independence and integration into mainstream society. You will learn a lot at either of these placements.
Requirements for Elective Students
You should speak a good level of French or Arabic in order to fully participate in the occupational therapy projects. This project is not available from mid-June to mid-September.
By living with a local host family while you are in Morocco, you will be welcomed into a warm Moroccan home and can use the opportunity to hone your French or Arabic language skills. In your free time, there are plenty of opportunities to socialise with other volunteers and local people, as well as lots of travel opportunities.
Please be aware that most universities have deadlines by which time your Elective application paperwork must be completed. If your university needs information on the hospital or clinic in which you will be placed, or requires forms to be signed by your project supervisor, we strongly advise completing our application form at least one month before this deadline. We can only provide this detailed information once you have applied and been accepted onto an Elective placement with us.
If you have any questions please call us on 01273 007230.