Professional Volunteering Opportunities in Medical, Peru
- Placement location: Cusco
- Requirements: Full qualifications as a doctor and intermediate to advanced level of spanish
- Accommodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start Dates: Flexible
This voluntary medical project helps treat patients in hospitals in and around Cusco, Peru.
There is a huge demand for medical care in Peru and not enough doctors. You can help ease the workload, treat patients and train local staff.
This project is perfect for anyone qualified doctors on a career break.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer doctors help in Peru?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer doctor. You can work on tasks such as:
- Helping existing staff treat patients, including:
- Diagnosing medical conditions and planning/providing appropriate treatment.
- Assisting with surgeries.
- Organising preventative medical programmes for individual patients.
- Providing advice on medical care and immunisation etc.
- Working on medical outreach programmes within nearby towns and villages.
- Helping existing staff come up with a plan for improving hospital care.
- Observing and assessing the work of local trainee doctors.
- Helping with training clinics for Projects Abroad volunteers working with other hospitals (optional).
We work with a variety of medical institutions in and around Cusco. You could work with one of two government hospitals. These are large facilities and you will be expected to work for around 6 hours per day, from Monday to Friday. Alternatively, it may be possible to perform some work at a smaller health centre.
This project runs all year round. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
This voluntary work abroad will help you gain experience of working in the developing world. You will see methods, diseases and treatments that you have not encountered before in your home country. You will also be able to share ideas and learn from fellow staff.
You will spend a lot of time with local staff and patients. This will teach you about their culture and way of life. They will all want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this ‘cultural exchange’ and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Peru is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Peruvian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
You need to be fully qualified as a doctor and have a relevant licence to practice in your country of residence. You will also need to speak intermediate to advanced level Spanish.
If you are interested in this project but don't have the relevant experience, then please read about our regular Medicine project in Peru.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.