Pharmacy Elective Placements in Kenya with Projects Abroad
- PLACEMENT LOCATIONS: Nanyuki, Laikipia County
- ROLE: Work alongside a trained pharmacist in a hospital or health centre and provide assistance to the local community.
- REQUIREMENTS: Must be enrolled in a pharmacy degree at university or be studying related subjects.
- TYPE OF PLACEMENT: Hospital or health centres
- ACCOMMODATION: Host families
- PRICE: From
- WHAT’S INCLUDED? Qualified supervisor, food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- LENGTH OF PLACEMENT: From 2 weeks
- START DATES: Flexible
Understaffing, low pay and a large number of patients are some of the challenges currently facing pharmacists in public Kenyan pharmacies. By choosing to complete a pharmacy elective in a developing country, you will be given the opportunity to observe these challenges first-hand and see how the Kenyan pharmacists address them.
Your time, skills and compassion are needed to help alleviate these pressing matters, while you share your knowledge with the local team. You will work to improve the healthcare offered to patients by advising them on the medication they need, and providing extra manpower in the pharmacy placements.
Your role on a Pharmacy Elective in Kenya
The team in Kenya are excited to welcome aspiring pharmacists to the country and are eager to introduce you to their working environment. You will shadow an experienced pharmacist and work closely with them. Duties include:
- Prepare medication by reviewing and interpreting instructions from a physician.
- Dispense medications by compounding, packaging, and labelling pharmaceuticals.
- Maintain a safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations of the hospital or centre.
- Provide pharmacological information by answering questions and requests from healthcare professionals.
- Counsel patients on drug therapies.
Use this experience to exchange pharmaceutical knowledge with the Kenyan team and help them implement new ideas and practices. Your contribution to this sustainable project will help ease the current team’s workload and allow you to engage with patients of varying social, economic and medical backgrounds.
Outreach projects in Kenya
All Pharmacy Elective volunteers will be required to participate in weekly and monthly medical outreaches and awareness days. These worthwhile outings will give you a chance to engage with outlying communities and give you a deeper understanding of the challenges that the locals face. Under supervision, you will assist with the packing, labelling and dispensing of medication to patients. Your patients will also benefit from the advice you give them.
Most universities have deadlines by which time your Pharmacy Elective application paperwork must be completed. If your university needs information on the hospital or health centre in which you will be placed, or requires forms to be signed by your project supervisor, we strongly advise completing our application form at least one month before this deadline. We can only provide this detailed information once you have applied and been accepted onto the Pharmacy Elective placement with us.
If your university or institution has no set requirements, we still advise that you apply as early as possible.
If you are not an Elective student or would rather take part in our standard projects, please see our Standard Projects page.