Volunteer Midwifery Placements in Ghana
- Placement location: Cape Coast, Dodowa
- Role: To work alongside local midwives and gain valuable work experience
- Type of placements: Hospitals and clinics
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Volunteering as a Midwife in Ghana will provide you with invaluable experience in the midwifery field. Midwifery techniques are likely to be different from what you are used to and you will learn a lot about how midwives work in Ghana. You will find yourself coming into contact with pregnant women experiencing complications that you are not used to in Europe and North America. These include malaria and typhoid. You will find this experience challenging but rewarding.
Midwifery volunteers work in Cape Coast at the main regional hospital. It is one of the more modern hospitals in Ghana, with a wide range of departments and a large amount of new equipment. When you first arrive at the hospital you will discuss your work schedule with the Projects Abroad co-ordinator and the placement supervisor, who will be a member of the hospital staff. You will take on the role of an intern, shadowing and learning form hospital midwives. Your qualifications and experience will determine how much responsibility you can take on in the hospital.
There is also the opportunity to work in the town of Dodowa. Volunteers with no medical experience will be placed in Dodowa, as there is more supervision and instruction for those who are there on an observational and learning basis. Volunteers with medical experience, but who are not fully qualified may be based at either location.
While volunteering in Ghana you will live with local host-families. As one of our most popular destinations, there will always be a large Projects Abroad volunteer community for you to meet up with outside of working hours.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Ghana Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.