Nursing Volunteer Projects in Mexico
- Placement location: Guadalajara
- Role: To rotate through various different departments and learn from the experience of skilled local staff
- Type of Placements: Hospitals
- Requirements: Volunteers must be aged 18 years or older and speak Spanish to a basic level
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
As a Nursing volunteer you will gain a great deal of valuable work-experience in Mexico. Nursing volunteers work in city hospitals in Guadalajara. The hospitals are fast paced and busy. They are well equipped and near the standards of Western hospitals.
As a nursing volunteer, you will rotate throughout different departments and take on a mainly observational role. How much hands on work you will get depends upon the hospital and your previous experience and qualifications. By showing initiative and building a good rapport with your colleagues, you can get very involved with the doctors and patients with whom you are working. You could help clean wounds, put in IVs, put on casts, some volunteers have even helped with stitching, and you will generally assist the doctors.
If you wish to specialise in one area of nursing then we can organise that for you. Departments include gynaecology, obstetrics, paediatrics, and surgery. Doctors and nurses welcome volunteers with a range of experience, so long as you are enthusiastic and keen to participate. Your supervisor will ensure you learn as much as possible about nursing and healthcare practice in Mexico.
Requirements for Nursing Volunteers
Volunteers need to speak some Spanish to join our Mexican Nursing programme. If you are unsure as to whether your Spanish is good enough for the programme please give us a call. Many volunteers who lack confidence in their Spanish language skills join a Teaching, Care, Community or Spanish Language project before joining their Nursing project. This gives them the opportunity to brush up their language skills before the medical part of their placement.
Volunteers need to be a minimum of 18 years old to take part on the nursing project.
While volunteering in Mexico you will live with local host families. You will immerse yourself in the Mexican day-to-day life. You can explore Guadalajara and the surrounding area with our very active Projects Abroad volunteer community.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Mexico Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.