Speech Therapy Volunteering in Morocco
- Placement locations: Rabat
- Role: To work alongside local staff who care for children with learning disabilities and special needs
- Types of placements Schools and day care centres
- Requirements: Volunteers must have completed at least one year of Speech Therapy studies and speak French or Arabic to an intermediate level
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible, although not available during the months of July, August and September
Volunteering in the field of Speech Therapy in Morocco is a worthwhile experience. You will be working in schools and day-care centres where facilities may not be to the standard you are used to. However, the placements really make a difference to the quality of life of the children and young adults they work with.
Projects Abroad have placements in a day-care centre for children aged 3 -12 who have either been abandoned or orphaned, who have a variety of learning disabilities and special needs. The centre carries out various therapies and is a welcoming environment, with gardens and a small area for animals.
We also have a placement in a school for girls with mental disabilities. The children are aged between 6 and 15 years old. Here the focus is on developing independence and integration into mainstream society. Both placements need speech therapists to help the children and young adults with communication.
To start with your role will be mainly observational and you will work alongside local staff. However, as you build a relationship with the staff, you will be able to get more hands-on work over time.
Requirements for Speech Therapy Volunteers
Volunteers joining this project should have completed a minimum of one year’s speech therapy study. Volunteers should speak a good level of French or Arabic in order to fully participate in these projects. This project is not available from mid-June to mid-September.
While you are a volunteer in Morocco you will live with a local host family where you can practise your French or Arabic language skills. In your free time, there are plenty of opportunities to socialise with other volunteers and locals in and around the area, as well as lots of of travel opportunities.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Morocco Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.